Monday, October 12, 2009

New Chiefs player no longer telling women he plays for the Chiefs

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Michael Richardson, a defensive back recently acquired defensive back, has quickly learned not to inform women he meets that he plays for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Richardson, a third-year player out of Notre Dame, came over from the New England Patriots, where he played in 10 games last season, recording four solo tackles. He was signed to the Chiefs’ squad Sept. 30, but in less than two weeks, he’s already learned the massive differences between the two teams, and two cities.

Richardson went out on the town Saturday night, hitting the Makers Mark bar in the Power and Light district in downtown Kansas City. Numerous women approached him, only to leave in a hurry when he mentioned his current occupation.

“In Boston, women would be all over you if they knew you played for the Patriots. You could be the ugliest dude in the bar, but if you played football, you had ladies fighting over you,” said Richardson. “I’ve been out four or five times already in Kansas City, and I’ve literally had women walk away from me on the spot when I mention I play for the Chiefs.”

Fellow teammate, and New England transplant Mike Vrable can relate with Richardson. While Vrable doesn’t spend much time out at the bars, his trouble came when moving into a new apartment this summer. Vrable needed a place to stay during the season because he didn’t want to move his family here, so he rented an apartment on the Kansas side.

“The first day there, my next door neighbors brought over a plate of fresh-baked cookies and introduced themselves. When I told them I played for the Chiefs, they were gone within two minutes and haven’t come back,” said Vrable. “It’s a shame too, because those cookies were really good. Sometimes I can smell them baking and it makes me sad.”

Although it's become more common among Chiefs' players recently, lying about a profession is nothing new to the Kansas City sports scene. Members of the Kansas City Royals have been lying about their day job for years.

"It's all about selling the story," said longtime Royals' player Mark Teahan, who spent the first few years in Kansas City telling women he was a pharmaceutical sales manager. "I probably spend two months each off season researching everything I can about pharmaceuticals, just in case I meet someone who knows what they're talking about. It's hard work, but it's a lot better than telling women I play baseball in Kansas City."

Derrick Johnson, a fourth-year Chief drafted from the University of Texas, has also dealt with the recent Kansas City football backlash. He makes sure to leave his profession at home when he’s out on the town.

“I tell girls I’m an investment banker, or a high-profile lawyer, anything but a Kansas City Chief, and it almost always works,” says Johnson. “Of course, if the chick is an uggo, or she’s giving off a crazy vibe, or I’m just ready to head home alone, I’ll mention the Chiefs. That’s usually the fastest way to clear the room.”

No comments:

Post a Comment