Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Posnanski the blogger thinks Posnanski the columnist is “kind of a sissy”

KANSAS CITY, MO - Joe Posnanski, the blogger, today revealed he believes Joe Posnanski, the columnist, is “a decent writer, but actually kind of a sissy.” Posnanski made the revalation through one of his now patented *Postrerisk* during a 2,100 word posting about the new PX90 infomercial.

From the blog JoePosnanski.com: I enjoy a good work out like anyone else. Although my workouts are usually curls that involve a fork and a slab of brisket from Oklahoma Joe's. But apparently, using this machine can turn even the biggest sissy* into a body that He-Man would envy. Do kids still play with He-Man? Joe Mauer might be He-Man.

*I never realized it before, but I went back and read the last year of my blog, and the last year of my columns, and decided that as a columnist, I’m a decent writer, but actually kind of a sissy. I take these fantastic stances against managers and players in my blog, but I kind of tip-toe around things in my columns, as if I’m trying to stay friends with everyone I write about. I guess I’m hoping people like (Kansas City Royals manager) Trey Hillman don’t read my blog.

Posnanski, an award-winning columnist many times over, and regarded in many journalistic circles as one of the best sports writers in America, recently made the jump from the Kansas City Star to Senior Writer at Sports Illustrated, citing a lifelong dream to work at the publication.

His departure leaves a great hole at the Star, although it also encouraged many of his long-time readers to start following him online. Those who had never read the blog before saw a different side of Posnanski.

“I read him for 15 years in the newspaper, and he was always so happy and upbeat,” said Margret Schneiderman, 74, of Lansing, Kan. “But when I read his Internet site, he was much more critical of people. And he wrote a lot about an old baseball team. I didn’t like it.”

Still, many of Posnanski’s critics say the bite he lacked as a columnist shines through on his Web site. Just this week, he called out the Cleveland Browns for making one of the worst head coaching hires in the past 25 years when they hired Eric Mangini. He’s harshly chided Hillman and members of both the Chiefs and Royals front office, something he rarely, if ever, did in his role as a columnist.

“I got tired of reading about special kids, or special people, or rainbows or kittens, or why the Royals, who have one winning season in 15 years, were going to win the World Series,” said Jay Gerald, a graphic designer who stopped getting the Star two years ago. “He’s a great writer, and I guess he was providing balance for (the other Kansas City Star columnist Jason) Whitlock, but reading JoPo’s stuff was like eating a pound of cotton candy: Too much sweet, not enough sour or substance.”

But Posnanski - who will have less of a commentary role with Sports Illustrated - says he doesn’t anticipate changing the tone of his blog, even if it means offending some of the people he covers.

“My blog postings are my own personal thoughts. And if I personally think Dayton Moore is a stubborn, idiotic jackass who refuses to put any credence into the theory that on-base percentage helps win games, even though there are countless examples to prove it, then I’m going to write that,” said Posnanski, who immediately seemed nervous. “Wait, is this going into a paper. I also need to add that Dayton Moore probably forgot more about baseball this morning than I’ll ever know, and that he’s very good at his job.”

No comments:

Post a Comment